Ice cream design competition
Bompas & Parr has launched a design competition to create three-dimensional ice cream moulds for London Design Festival (15-23 September).
The competition, the deadline for which has been extended to September 6th 2018, follows the success of The British Museum of Food’s exhibition SCOOP: A Wonderful Ice Cream World, featuring displays of ornate ice cream moulds from the 18th and 19th centuries from Robin and Caroline Weir’s collection.
Ice cream and sorbets have an aristocratic history in Europe due to the high-costs associated with ingredients and keeping things frozen. In the past, eating ice cream and sorbet was reserved for royalty and the very wealthy and serving it in moulds represented the pure zenith of the craft. A banquet 1714 and hosted by the Austrian ambassador to Rome in honour of Empress Elisabetta Cristina, included five tables of towering pyramids of moulded sorbets, a large vase made of milk-coloured ice and a tree holding 150 frozen moulded fruit sorbets set in a chocolate ‘soil’.
Bompas & Parr now invites designers, architects and artists to restore the glory of the ice cream mould, creating shape and form that’s fit for 21st century snacking and displaying on contemporary dining tables.
All entries must be sent to Bompas & Parr by midday on Monday 6th September. The winners will be announced on the 10th September.
Three shortlisted designs and one overall winner will be chosen by a panel of expert judges including:
● Marcus Fairs, Founder, Dezeen
● Christopher Turner, Head of Design, Architecture and Digital Collections, Victoria & Albert Museum
● Gwen Webber, Programme Manager, British Council
● Gonzalo Herrero Delicado, Architecture Curator, Royal Academy of Arts
● Joseph Watson, London Creative Director, National Trust
● Peter Murray, Chairman, New London Architecture
● International ice cream experts, Robin and Caroline Weir
● Rachele Caltagirone, Senior Project Director of Marketing, Argent
● Co-founders Sam Bompas and Harry Parr, Bompas & Parr
The judges three favourite designs will be turned into ice cream moulds and will be on sale at SCOOP during the London Design Festival for one day only on Thursday 20th September.
All profits and revenue from auctioned artworks will be donated to Maggie’s Centres. Maggie’s Centres is a great charity that supports people living with cancer, and their family and friends
One overall winner will have their face moulded into an ice cream and up to 30 colleagues will be invited on a special tour of SCOOP: A Wonderful Ice Cream World, hosted by Sam Bompas himself.